Conference / Webcast
Fairmont Hotels Inc. and Jean Coutu Group (PJC) Inc. Supreme Court decisions on Rectification
Monday, January 23rd, 2017
Centre Sheraton Hotel | Room Drummond West & Centre
1201 Boul. René-Lévesque West | Montreal
English Session: 1:45 pm - 3:00 pm EST (click here for the French session)
Please scroll down to see fee information and webcast FAQ's **Group rates available
Conference / Webcast: 1:45 pm to 3:00 EST
Light lunch: Beginning at 12:45 EST
Deadline registration: Thursday, January 19th, 2017 at 5:00 pm EST
The panelists will refer to the reasons given by the Supreme Court in the two decisions in examining, among others, the following questions:
- Is the Juliar decision dead?
- To what extent can a contract be rectified in order to avoid unintended tax consequences?
- Does a remedy exist which allows corrections to be brought to a written contract where the latter does not reflect the intention of the parties that there be no immediate tax consequences?
- If such a remedy exists, does it allow for the insertion of new transactions?
- Is the answer to this question the same in Québec as it is in the other provinces?
The panelists for this event are:
Dominic Belley, Norton Rose Fulbright (Counsel for Groupe Jean Coutu (PJC) Inc.)
Paul Jr. Bergeron, Agence du revenu du Québec
Daniel Bourgeois, Department of Justice (Counsel for the Attorney General of Canada)
Timothy Fitzsimmons, Dentons (Dentons was counsel for Juliar and Mr. Fitzsimmons has acted as counsel in many rectification cases since)
The moderators for this event are :
Marie-France Dompierre, Deloitte Tax Law
Laura Gheorghiu, Gowling WLG
Nathalie Perron, Barsalou Lawson Rheault
Joel Scheuerman, Davies Ward Phillips & Vineberg
| CONFERENCE IN-PERSON (In English)
|| WEBCAST (In English)
|| 2-5 people
|| 6-10 people
|| 11 people and +
|| $75.00 per person
|| $55.00 per person
|| $45.00 per person
| $55.00 per person
|| $45.00 per person
|| $30.00 per person
| $30.00 per person
|| $25.00 per person
|| $20.00 per person
- Training recognized by the Barreau du Québec for mandatory continuing education, for a duration of 1.25 hours
- All conference registration types include access to electronic documents.
- Payment must be made at the time of registration.
- There are no taxes on registration fees.
- Sharing access between two or more people is not allowed.
On January 23, 2017 the Fairmont Hotels Inc. and Group Jean Coutu (JPC) Inc. Supreme Court decisions on Rectification conference will be webcast live in its entirety from le Centre Sheraton in Montreal.
During the webcast, viewers will be able to see both an image of the speaker(s) and the presentation slides simultaneously. Webcast registrants will receive a URL link and password information to the webcast prior to the live streaming.
Logging in and out of the webcast:
Viewers will be able to login and out of the webcast using the same URL and password, at any time during the live stream. Viewers will also be able to send their questions to the panelists electronically prior to and during the webcast. The webcast videos will be archived for three months and can be viewed by registrants at later date on the CTF website.
Viewers will require an internet enabled device to view the webcast. The webcast uses Flash.